Thursday, October 7, 2010

And Here's to Papa John

It's safe to say that losing a loved one is one of the most difficult and emotionally trying events that any individual has to go through. On top of that - depending on your personal affiliation with that person - you very often think about how others are going to react to the same loss - just from a different point of view. I think this is something that we all struggle with on a regular basis - not the sheer act of losing someone but rather interpreting how another person - probably another friend or family member - is going to react to the situation and determine from there any next steps or precautions in the name of mourning.

This was the exact situation that me and my close to 20 very best friends have been faced with over the course of this past week. Coming off of the marriage of two of the greatest people I have ever known - we were all confronted with the very sad news that my great friend John's father, Mr. Stapleton, had passed away. All of this news in the midst of spending a week on the same said friends' honeymoon in the Bahamas...aboard the Carnival Pride.

You can imagine our immediate disbelief in the situation when John shared the news; however, the tonality in his voice was one that his father would have been extremely proud of and I will not be the first or the last to tell him that.

Mr. Stapleton was quite possibly one of the most honest, fun-loving, caring, diplomatic and just genuinely happy people I have ever met. Having a son who just happened to have more than 10 best friends that had to be around at all times was probably not the ideal situation for any parent - which eventually lead to the infamous...'Get to the back of the line you little...' - anyone who needs to know the ending there will....and that's fine. The point is - we are all so very lucky - eternally lucky to have had the opportunity to be a part of Mr. Stapleton's life and for that I am forever grateful.

I don't know that there is another person who I think of and the first thing that comes to mind is the shiniest face, the puffy cheeks and the kind of smile you can only wish to see on your father's, your husband's, your dad's, your brother's, your nephew's, your cousin's or your very best friend's face on a regular basis. But that was him. If he was there - good times were to be had and that is honestly the best way to summarize Mr. Stapleton.

And with that, I leave you - Papa John - with a little note:

There are not many people who come through my life - outside of my friends that I've had forever it seems at this point - who I can say have made me the type of better person, more confident person that I strive to be every day. And you did. You were always so proud of all of us and happy to have us around because you knew we were just genuinely good kids and I will love you forever for that. Thank you for being exactly the way you are. You will be terribly missed.

Rest in peace, Mr. Stapleton.

With nothing but love,

Erin

1 comment: