Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Facebook Therapy

This is really something to talk about.. I think. If not, then I am completely going nuts and am in the process of turning into a cynical bitch in my older age. And by old age I mean the ripe YOUNG age of 28. But I am noticing this more and more and thought it'd be wise to get it out in the open so that we could all either agree, disagree.. or agree to disagree.

Now everyone has a friend or two who are in somewhat unhappy relationships. This could be for any reason at all - I won't even bother to name specifics - but you know who I'm referring to. And obviously, this is not something that I am trying to draw attention to in any positive way - but more bringing to light a point and that is: why on Earth would you go on Facebook.. the world's most frequented and abused social network to confess your undying love for your significant other - who any of your real friends knows is driving you f'n crazy?!!??!

Is this because the percentage of people in your friend pool doesn't really know what's actually going on in your life and is rather following what's going on with you strictly through Facebook? Meanwhile - the rest of your friends...this is your actual friends now...are all sitting around hanging out wondering - why the F did so and so post on their status today that they have never been happier in their life.. when just last night they were texting you about how much they can't stand so and so.

This type of text would lead you to believe that there is a sense of unhappiness in the air and the type of status update I just referred to is relatively unwarranted. What is the point then??! Why broadcast to the entire world that you are living this life that is not true? I don't get it. And I mean I've been in really bad relationships...I guess it just worked out for me that they were all before Facebook. I'm so lucky... I know.

What do we think about this? Am I crazy? I find a much better place for this type of banter is on blackberry messenger status. At least that's a little bit of a smaller audience than the more than 500 million active users on Facebook. Just an observation.

Please share..

1 comment:

  1. You're not crazy here you're right and no matter what age, and even with my old fogey friends, they do it too! Total crap. I'm not going to get on FB and say my significant other is so great when last night he was a total a-hole, nor am I going to go on FB and say he is an a-hole. My business (not to say I don't post some "questionable things" but that's a blog for another day. I say keep your relationships to yourself. Isn't it really between two people (and your "real" friends) anyway. My two cents. I'm glad you are back also.

    ReplyDelete